Screamin’ OWL™ Salsa and Jellies
Make your taste buds sit up and pay attention!
Created, cooked and canned by the staff and volunteers of the Louisiana Methodist Children’s Home. A variety of flavors and heats ensures a product that will satisfy your mouth’s desire!
SCREAMIN’ OWL PRODUCTS
Screamin’ OWL Salsa
- Just a Tad Warm (mild)
- Pretty Darn Hot (medium)
- Sizzlin’ Tail Feathers (medium with black beans and corn)
- Holy Cow! It’s Screamin’ Hot (extra hot)
- $4.00 jar (13 oz.)
- $42.00 case (12 jars)
- $15.00 Gift box (3 jars of selected variety)
Berries, Jams and Jellies
Growing in the OWL orchard are a variety of berries including, blueberries, mayhaws, and muscadines. During peak season, volunteers from local churches come to the OWL Center and help pick and sort the berries. The end result of this process is some of the BEST jelly you will ever taste!
Bayou DeVille Crawfish Jelly
Hootin’ Hot Pepper Jelly
Blazin’ Hot Pepper Jelly
Party Time Pepper Jelly
- $6.00 jar (net 16 oz.)
- $60.00 case (12 jars)
- $20.00 Gift box (3 jars of selected variety)
- Cases may be mixed with your choice of varieties available
- For shipping information or to place an order please call the OWL Center at (318) 777-3460(318) 777-3460 or email us at owlcenter@LMCH.orgThe Salsa StoryIn 1999, Dr. and Mrs. James White generously donated two 3,000 square foot green houses to the Outdoor Wilderness Learning Center (OWL). Staff and children began a horticulture program which included growing and selling tomatoes. Some of the tomatoes would not sell because they were blemished or odd-shaped. To solve the problem of wasted tomatoes, our staff decided to make salsa.
After some research and practice, the salsa recipe was created. The first batch of OWL salsa was made by Tammy Stevens and some of our female residents as a way of raising money for their summer trip. The salsa was a HUGE success and sold rapidly! Soon the operation became too large to handle on campus. Not long afterward, Mr. Charlie Hutchins of Pollock, Louisiana, a jelly and salsa maker, offered his factory along with some much needed help and advice!
With increased sales we were able to buy all of our own equipment. We are now able to make all the salsa here at the OWL Center in the Henning Conference Center kitchen. Our sincere appreciation goes out to Mr. Hutchins and his family for allowing us to use their equipment and space.
The Screamin’ OWL Salsa has been hugely popular all over the state of Louisiana and beyond. We want to send out a big thank you to all of the people who have helped us along the way. We definitely could not have done it without everyone’s help!